My little sidekick has been in Kindergarten for nearly 2 months. Some days she goes in just fine, but even this morning she took a few minutes letting go of my hand to head into class. She's such a fun one to have around and I miss her even more than she misses me. She's the one that likes to chat at the grocery store like another adult. "So, what do we need today? Should we get extra milk? Daddy really likes these cookies." She likes to be in on the details of my day and literally walks around in my shoes all afternoon. (I've given her a few pair so she'll quit making a disaster of my closet!)
It breaks my heart to see that pinch of anxiousness in her eyes as I have to say good-bye for a few hours every day. I check in with her teacher often to make sure things are going well. A few weeks ago she told me, "Tessa is so helpful. Whenever I need a mess cleaned up or a bookshelf re-organized Tessa is my go-to student." I couldn't help but smile thinking that we'd been doing the same thing that day, just in different places. As I tucked her in bed that night and talked to her about school she reminded me, "Tomorrow I think I'm going to organize the treat box, it's a little messy."
The other day I caught her teacher for a minute (again) to make sure (again) that she does okay the rest of the day and doesn't seem sad or anxious. Her words brought a little tear to my eye, "Tessa is like the little mom of our class. She comforts kids who are sad, encourages students that are a little slow and is always so willing to help."
Kirt laughed when I called and told him about my conversation with Mrs. C. "Sounds like she's your mini-me." I'll tell you what, I could learn a thing or two from that little Tessa Jane. She's learning at a far younger age than I how to spot a need and find a way to help. You should also know that she can shoot a dirty look like nobody's business if the need arises! (My nick name wasn't Kady-Becca-Snotbox for nothin'!) It is so fun to see some similarities (and slightly frustrating as well) and to have such a perfect little partner in crime always at my side.
She's definitely has me beat in the style department. I didn't stand a chance.
This nearly 30 year-old picture still blows my mind. When my brother sent it to me, my initial thought was, "Where did Tessa get that shirt?"


2 comments:
How come this post almost brings me to tears?! There's something so enlightening about seeing glimpses of ourselves in our kids. The way you're starting to understand Tessa, well that's how we all feel about you. This might help you see better why we're all dying to be your neighbor- you just have something special like your baby girl!
Such a sweet and cute girl! And I agree with gay, that us such a special quality we see in you of finding a need in someone. Even something small like bringing extra safety pins to a race! You for sure have taught me lots over the years about what it means to be a friend. Glad Tessa is picking this up from her momma. And she for sure gets her good style from her momma too
Post a Comment