Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mother's Day

The day before Mother's Day Kirt took the kids shopping for a gift. Cal came home, jumped out of the car and ran up to me, "Mom, we got you the BEST present ever! You are never going to regret becoming a mother!" I had no response, but I have laughed every day since thinking about his comment. Side note: Have you ever been to the mall on the day before Mother's Day. I love seeing crowds of dads toting a bunch of kids around in search of something special to honor their moms. I also find it slightly entertaining that the dads look a little freaked out - it's a big job taking kids to the mall! And on that note: Kirt came home from their shopping trip and reported proudly that Owen only got lost once and it was at a stand-alone sporting goods store rather than at the mall.
And because I have a mom too - let me say something about her. She's awesome. On her way to Hawaii for Mother's Day she stopped over here to watch Cal's baseball game, shuttle my kids around, take them for slurpees, help with my church fundraiser and clean my house. See, awesome, right? And that was just 2 days!
And because I have a mother-in-law - here's some food for thought. I love her. We moved 750 miles away 9.5 years ago and she's never gone more than 3 months without seeing the kids. She has a super-human ability when she visits to read my mind and start/empty the dishwasher 10 minutes before I was planning to get to it. My Thank You's begin to sound trite when she's around because every time I turn around she's doing something for which I am grateful. Oh yeah, and she raised a pretty amazing son that I am proud to call my husband.

No comments: