Well, last Sunday Kirt and I were asked to speak in church. (Which is a whole 'nother story about what a selfless and giving wife I am. When Kirt and I realized that we had prepared the same topic I caved immediately and let him keep his talk while I started from scratch with 2 days to spare.) I hadn't heard/read anything about his talk except the topic so when he got up and started describing his dream car I got a little nervous - not sure where the link was coming. He told everyone (true story) that a few weeks ago he said to me, "I really think a Scout International will make me really happy." (Or something to that affect.) He did tie it in nicely with his topic of gratitude and in closing, while making note of all his blessings, he said, "...and I know that I don't NEED a Scout International to be happy."
Cue the universe, The Secret, or whatever you want to call it. (I have my own theory, noted below.) Tuesday night (48 hours after his talk) he came home from work, "Kady, I think I found the one."
He didn't even have to say what he was talking about. I asked, "Where is it?"
You see, homeboy has found "the one" a few times and we've even priced shipping costs because "the one" was in Pennsylvania or Atlanta. This "one" was in Redlands - less than 2 hour drive. He mentioned it a few more times throughout the week and when Saturday morning rolled around and I asked him what he wanted to do that day he gave 2 options: replant the flower beds or go see the truck in Redlands. We decided to give it a shot, partly because I was feeling a little sick and a nap in the car felt like just what I needed.
The drive was just over an hour and a half, we had some lunch and went to the car lot. As Kirt walked around the truck he made a ridiculously low-ball offer just to see how firm the price was. Before I knew it we were taking this picture at the gas station down the street - on our way home with Kirt's dream car.
(Pardon the camera phone picture. I'm sure Kirt is scheduling a professional photo shoot with his new baby soon.)After a 2 hour drive home with no radio, Kirt was back out the door within 10 minutes, off to run made-up errands. He is so excited that it's comical. He has a little spring in his step and when people asks about it his face lights up. I told Kirt that I think God needed to hear him say that he didn't NEED the Scout to be happy before he could actually put it in his path. But ultimately, I don't think it's hurt Kirt's quest for happiness! We're looking forward to trips to the beach this summer with the top off.
3 comments:
My brother is the same way... I don't think I've seen him once since getting his '76 Land Cruiser that he doesn't talk about it. It's true love.
We had an International Travelall (sp?) growing up, and I have often lamented the passing of that car. Have fun living the dream, Kirt!
I think he knew he was going home with that truck, his outfit matches perfectly with the vehicle, love the green vest!
Post a Comment