Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First Day 2011

Please excuse the phone picture and yes, it's the same one as facebook. I'm having camera issues. Today was the first day of having 3 kids in school - at 3 different schools no less.

Cal was the one I was most nervous about. Maybe because it was my first time having a kid at that school. I still can't believe he's in middle school! How did the time go so fast? The first words out of his mouth once he got in the car were, "That was awesome!" He loved his teachers - said they were awesome and hilarious. He couldn't quit talking about all the funny things one of his teachers said. He has a good friend in most of his classes and seemed to find his way around just fine. I thought I would be the coolest mom ever and meet him after school with a giant Icee. He grabbed it like it was something that happened every day and started chatting about school. He's such a middle-schooler - too cool for acting surprised!

Owen walked out of school with a big smile and a skip in his step and told me that his day was "horrible." To which I replied, "What are you talking about? You look like you had a great day!" He responds, "Oh, my day in class was awesome. I'm talking about you waking me up too early. I need a good night's rest!" Let me now tell you that he was up (pretending to sleep walk) just after 6:30. He was dressed and ready to go before I could put waffles on the table a few minutes after 7. He let me take a few pictures at home, although he informed me that he no longer smiles for pictures (as evidenced above) and requested that I take no pictures at school because "it's just a waste of time." This kid has been on a roll today!

And our sweet little Tessa Jane started preschool today. Last year she refused preschool but we finally talked her into going when she was 4. In June, a few days after she turned 4 I took the boys to school and came home to a sad little Tess welled up with tears. "You forgot to take me to school and I'm 4!" We explained when the school year started and went to visit her future preschool and she's been looking forward to it ever since. When I dropped her off she seemed a little shy, but her teacher got her onto a swing within a minute or so and she never even looked back for me. When I picked her up she told me that she "already made up a friend. And she's 4 just like me!" I think she means that she made a friend. And how excited will she be when she realizes that her entire class is 4 just like her! She couldn't remember what letters they learned about until about 2 hours later she randomly said "A and C mom." and I realized that those were the letters of the day. She also told me that her teacher "has a beautiful name. It's Jessica, isn't that beautiful?" She told Kirt that they had pizza at school but they wouldn't let her have any. I saw some pizza there, I think the teachers had ordered it for lunch and they were waiting until the kids were done before they ate it. Of course Tessa would take that personally.

Overall I think Day #1 was a success. If we can keep the morning enthusiasm and glowing after-school reports we're looking forward to a fabulous year and driving all over the place every morning and afternoon will be well worth it!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Sounds like a big day at the Peterson house! I loved hearing all the updates. I was seriously thinking about cal today wondering about jr high. Glad he had a great day. You are like a for real mom with all the driving duties now.