Friday, March 9, 2012

Lunch This Week

I know I'm not the only mama that struggles with lunch for myself. I tend to binge on junk if I'm at home or forget to eat altogether if I'm out running errands. After a particularly bad week last week where I became painfully aware that I'm not taking very good care of myself I have resolved to do better and feed myself well and often.

This sammy is a favorite. I make some sort of 'salad' and shove it in a pita for easier consumption. My mom always says that any salad can be a great when you add a fruit, a nut and a cheese to your greens, so that's what I go for here. Today I sliced some apples and avocado, used a cranberry/walnut/gorgonzola dressing (love it when my dressing has the fruit, nut and cheese!) from Trader Joe's on my spinach and added some feta to the top. Possibilities are endless with berries, pears, nectarines, almonds, pistachios, cheddar, swiss and it wouldn't hurt to add some left over chicken or steak to the mix. The only things needed are the spinach and the pita bread. After that, I look around the fridge/pantry to see what I have. By mixing up the ingredients and the dressing I don't get bored with it so quickly.

Between my yummy lunch and the sun shining outside, this week seems to have shaped up pretty well! I've also been laughing at my brother's most recent Facebook status all day:
So Lincoln was upstairs going potty and he yelled down that he was done which woke his little sister up from her nap. So I yelled upstairs "You just woke up your sister damn it!". To which he replied "Dad, my name's not damn it, it's Lincoln!". I guess that solves the mystery of 'Where did you learn that word?'
So glad the answer isn't "at Aunt Kady's house!"

2 comments:

agirlnamedgay said...

yes i know you just posted this 5 seconds ago and no i'm not embarrassed that i've already read it! Love the last line. but after my kids read this story, the answer will be "at kady's house!"

Laura said...

You know I'm serious about my lunch. This looks food. I'll have to start putting it in my rotation