Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Day of Highs and Lows

Last Friday morning I got the kids off to school, got my 'chores' around the house done and was ready to take some time for myself. Inspired by our new favorite 'Thrift Store' tune on the radio, I headed MY thrift store. That one down on Ventura Blvd where all the cool kids take their clothes. It works out well because I'm just starting to figure out the trends as the hipsters are over them. I hadn't visited my favorite haunt for at least a year and I had some Christmas money to spend. I pulled up just moments before they opened and checked the meter. There was almost a full hour already paid for on that sucker. I took it as the good sign it was and headed in. Turned out to be possibly my most successful trip ever. (If you've seen me in the past 4 days I've probably told you all about it.) In 45 minutes I scored 3 pair of jeans, a shirt, a dress and a smoking pair of shoes for $90. I was on cloud nine, wondering why do I even shop at the mall when there are deals like this to be had for a fraction of the price? The shoes alone, which cost all of $7.50 got me at least $12 worth of compliments on Sunday at church.

After securing my purchases I hustled through the drizzly weather, jumped in the car and cranked the heater. That pesky little gas light came on, but less than 10 miles from home and we all know I've gotten at least 25 miles out of that baby with that little orange light on. Until Friday. Just 2 blocks from my favorite gas station I pull up to a stop light and the gas pedal loses power. Sputtering starts and I know I've outrun my luck.

Want to know a secret about me? I'm kind of good in an emergency. I don't want to jinx myself  and even though this wasn't a full-fledged-911-emergency, I wasn't ruffled in the least. I put that baby in park right in the middle of the street and flipped on the hazard lights. Cars are honking and pulling around me (probably a few flipping me the bird, I couldn't care less) and I was nowhere near even an elevated heart rate. I pull out my AAA card and start dialing just as some police officers pulled up next to me. I was surprised at my own candor as I rolled down my window, "Hey guys. I ran out of gas. I'm calling AAA. Thanks for stopping." They ended up pushing me off to the side of the road and suggested that I wait in a dry spot for my knight in shining armor (with a red gas container) to show up. I hung out under the roof of a nearby building all while texting possible babysitters for later that night. My hero showed up within 10 minutes, took my $10 for 2 gallons of gas and we were both on our way.

When Kirt called me at lunchtime (This all happened before noon.) you can bet that I told him all about my shopping excursion before I mentioned in passing that I also ran out of gas and had to be semi-rescued. I've been laughing about that morning ever since, and wondering where that calm came from. Was it because I was alone? Was it because I'm straight up unflappable? (ha!) Or was the high from that shopping trip just refusing any possible buzz kill? Whatever it was, it was a Friday to remember and I think I should keep that shopping tip in my back pocket the next time I'm having a bad day. Who's coming with me?

3 comments:

Laura said...

I definitely want to go with you. I'm pretty upset that the only time I've been there is when I was pregnant with Mia. And I remember you found jeans for like $30 that I had just paid $130 for. And I'm not surprised at all at your coolness under pressure. You are at the top of my list to have with me in an emergency. And I'm dying to see these great finds you scored

Laura said...

Ps, proud of you for getting that Christmas money spent so soon...unless of course it was from last Christmas

agirlnamedgay said...

You are cracking me up! Mainly because you did tell me about the shopping and not the running out of gas. Which I guess is how it should be....no attention to negative experiences! You are awesome, can't wait to see the shoes!