Thursday, January 2, 2014

Great to be 8!

We made the trek up to Utah for Thanksgiving once again this year. It was a great trip that deserves a post all it's own, but while we were there Owen got baptized. It was such a special experience that I never want to forget. For the last month I've carried those precious memories in my heart and hope I can record them so that Owen and the rest of us can remember the important details and feelings of his special night.

We kept things very simple. There were no decorations or grand plans, there weren't even invitations beyond a few text messages, but it was magical. All of Owen's aunts and uncles, all of his cousins, and all of his grandparents were there. He even managed a few great grandparents as well as some of my aunts and uncles, cousins and a cousin of Kirt's with her kids. We kept one surprise up our sleeve and when the Nielsens and the Hansens showed up (some of our best CA friends) he was elated! We filled that little room up with so much family, friends and love, it was incredible.

Owen orchestrated the program. Grandpa Peterson conducted the service, Grandma Leslie played the piano with Abby leading the music. Grandma Bonnie said the opening prayer, Joni gave a great talk on baptism and Colby told Owen all about the Holy Ghost. Tessa sang a beautiful song all by herself, Kirt baptized and confirmed him and Cal said the closing prayer.

Joni's talk on baptism was so thoughtful and geared right toward Owen. She had an object lesson about 'steps' that we take to get back to Heavenly Father. When she laid 2 of the steps quite far from each other (with obvious room for other steps in between) she asked Owen if he could get to Heavenly Father from the first step, without touching the carpet. He started scooting his feet forward dragging the first step with him. Cue erupting laughter. Classic Owen.

Colby had put so much thought and effort into his talk for Owen. He pulled out actual armor for Owen to put on to show him how listening to the Holy Ghost would protect him with lots of other little reminders about choosing the right.

Owen has his own little personality. He loves attention - to a point. He was so happy to be getting baptized and so happy to have everyone there for him, but as soon as anyone put him on the spot and started asking him questions in front of everyone I could feel his anxiety rise. He did great and made it through without incident, but it made my heart race just knowing how uncomfortable he was. I guess that's something we'll need to start getting used to. I mean, it only gets tougher from here, right?

When Kirt took him down into the water my heart almost burst. Life kind of flashes in front of me in moments like that. How is he 8 already? Is he ready? Am I ready? Please let life slow down a little. And I could see that Kirt felt it too. Before he started the baptismal prayer he bent down and gave Owen a little kiss on the head and it was almost more than I could take. (Man, these kids have a great dad.) He was baptized and confirmed and then we made him take a bajillion pictures with everyone that was there.(Hopefully posted later.)

Once the service was over, we headed to Grandma and Grandpa Peterson's house where I had gone all out (insert sarcasm) by making a few salads, forcing my sisters, mom and sister-in-law to make cookies and making Sean pick up pizza. Redd piped up offering to bless the food and said one of the sweetest 5 year old prayers I have ever heard. Several hours visiting with family and friends was the perfect way to end an incredible evening.
Note to self: Amazing moments don't have to be accompanied by lots of stress, money or decorations. Sometimes amazing moments are just about the moment and the people that you share them with. Big thanks to everyone that shared this moment with us!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds so incredibly special. Life really does sneak up on us. Love your note to self. Couldn't agree more.

The Jensens said...

I bet that was a special day for Owen! I can't believe he is 8 either! I hate that the kids grow up so fast, I wish we had more time when they were little! BTW!!! Your family is so good looking. You could all model for Nordstrom!

agirlnamedgay said...

I mean, I don't even know what kind of a comment to leave here. So glad I got to read this and feel so privileged we got to share such a special night with you and your family. You all are as close to family as it gets for us so it only felt right to be there! Love you!

張筱惠 said...

蒐證行蹤羅東徵信社徵信應收帳款公司花蓮徵信社婚前徵信抓姦徵信公司徵信社蒐證GPS追蹤器外遇諮詢錄音抓姦感情破壞外遇呆帳中壢徵信社宜蘭徵信社馬祖徵信社 徵信公司法律諮商心理醫生新營徵信社外遇抓姦外遇搜證衛星追蹤器、徵信老公變心通姦外遇抓姦合法徵信社離婚法律諮詢徵信社追蹤器徵信劈腿抓姦蒐證外遇桃園徵信社搜證尋人徵信徵信跟蹤徵信離婚婚姻離婚外遇感情挽回經驗外遇追蹤器法律諮詢外遇徵信外遇蒐證應收帳款調查偵探社外遇抓姦徵信徵信跟?尋人查址專利商標宜蘭徵信