Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Committing to Less

I drafted this post about a month ago. Please note that since then (Valentine's Day chocolate, I'm looking at you.) things have been a little different, but as with all seasons, I'm looking forward to getting back on track.

New Years Day has come and gone and while I don't tend to be the resolution type, I've been working on a few things as of late. I'm definitely not one to go cold turkey but I've been surprised with the progress I've made just by aiming for 'less'. A few things I've been working on are less yelling and less sugar. Here's the thing, I cannot commit to no yelling. Every once in a while my kids need to know I mean business - and quick. But the other side of that coin is that since I committed to less yelling and had several conversations with the kids about how we are ALL changing the way we speak to each other, the NEED for yelling has drastically reduced. I realized that I was yelling at the kids for yelling at each other and it was a nasty vicious cycle. When I hear one of them raise their voice, I remind them that we don't talk like that in our family and it tends to do the trick. We are all happier and I dare say the kids even like each other a little better. Also, less TV has been on the list and SERIOUSLY! - why don't I always remember this? I LOVE it when we watch less TV.

The other thing I've been working on is less sugar. I know. The holidays did quite a number on me and my eating habits. They also did a number on my work out habits. (And I like to say 'the holidays' but to be honest, it all started in September.) And why is it when I quit working out I also start eating like an idiot? I'm finally back on track working out and my eating habits are falling in line as well. I actually love veggies and fruits, I just need to commit to keeping them handy so when I find myself hangry, I've got somewhere reasonable to turn. (You know hangry, right? The intersection of hunger and angry. I cross those streets far more often than any good mama should.) Okay, but I had a point here: Less. Less sugar. When I am reminded that I'm committing to less sugar I'm far more picky about the sugar I choose to enjoy. When the kids bring home nasty candy from school it's easier to turn it down knowing that I'll enjoy something better later!

Since  I go back and read this blog more than anyone else, this post is just a reminder to myself. I don't need to completely stop TV or sugar or even yelling to be moving forward. Success comes in steps and progress is always welcomed.

...and as soon as I publish this post I will fall off the wagon for at least 2 more weeks. Blogging rule.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Great post!! I completely agree. I seem to fall off the less sugar every weekend but still try to do better every Monday! And thanks for making me feel better that sometimes I do need to yell. For real.

agirlnamedgay said...

Amen! Well said.