Before I knew it we were packing them and our kids into the car and sending them on their way to Utah. These 2 brave souls took our 3 kids on that 12 hour road trip back to Utah (voluntarily!) while Kirt and I stayed behind to go on a Pioneer Trek with the youth from church. We had no idea what to expect and even though I love the girls I work with at church I knew that none of them were going to be in my "family" and I was slightly terrified. I soon found that there was no need to be scared.
These kids were amazing. They dug in and helped with anything they possibly could. They maintained the sweetest attitudes through dirt, dust, heat, sweat and exhaustion.
They didn't think twice about being uncomfortable or what was "in it for them" they just immersed themselves in the experience and found joy in the journey.
Kirt and I were in charge of 10 kids that made up our family. They made it so easy, and they put up with my constant nagging to drink tons of water and constantly breaking out my buffet of snacks. We ended up with a few blisters but for the most part everyone stayed healthy and positive.
One morning, the men and boys were "called away" and the women had the opportunity to pull the handcarts by ourselves. The organizers made sure we got full effect with some nasty hills but once again, these girls were amazing. As soon as one family would get their cart to a safe place they would race back to help the next family. At one point we were telling girls to stop and let others have a turn.
Kirt and I had this sweet girl in our family. I was so nervous because she actually spoke very little English. I relied on Kirt's rusty Spanish and a few other kids in our family could communicate a decent amount with her. By the 2nd night as I was tucking my kids in she gave me a hug and said, "I'm going to miss you mommy." I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it. She was such a sweetheart. On our last day as we climbed our last insane hill another girl in our family was really struggling, my little "Y" took her by the arm and helped her finish that last 1/4 mile. Unable to speak to each other they embraced and cried together each expressing gratitude to the other. Don't tell Kirt I told you but he was really emotional as we bid goodbye to this dear girl. We will not soon forget all the amazing teenagers that we were able to spend that time with.
At one point the men carried the women across a little pond in an effort to remind the kids of all the difficult situations the pioneers had to endure. Most of the men/boys carried the women across like the picture above. (This happens to be the only other female leader that let her husband carry her across.)
And this is how Kirt got the job done.
There are not words to describe the way we felt about this experience. Like most things I complain about, I gained far more than I gave and will hold that experience in a special part of my heart. I even caught myself at the end saying, "Next time we do this..." but quickly caught myself. I can't imagine I'd be lucky enough to be asked twice.
2 comments:
Loved seeing all those pictures of your trek. Got a little teary eyed reading about it. Glad it was such a great experience
First off those are awesome pictures. And second of all, the whole experience sounded amazing. Basically I second verything Laura said. I'm always do slow to volunteer for a lot of things and it really makes me wonder how many special experienced I'm cheating myself out of. Those kids are so lucky for your willingness. I'm always amazed by what a nurturer you are and I think this was the perfect place for that strength to shine and be so beneficial to so many others. Luv ya miss kp!
Post a Comment