Friday, September 7, 2012

A Few Random Thoughts

First and Foremost:
 These darling kids celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary yesterday. I know! Believe me, nobody is more shocked than we are. The longer we're married the more conversations start with, "Can you believe our parents let us get married!?" (I mean, I was barely eligible to go to jail.) I couldn't have written the story better myself, these life adventures have always been more exciting with this guy by my side. And how about that picture? I think it's what people refer to as "vintage". You know, when you get married before anyone has even heard of 'digital photography'. I think the fact that I took a picture of the picture with my iphone and emailed it to myself may have added to the vintage effect. (Take that technology!)

And because the title led you to believe there would be some random thoughts...

Tessa came home from school the other day very tired and very hungry and in her weakened, emotional state the following conversation took place:
Tess "Why do you put so much stuff in my lunchbox?"
Me "I put in all the things you like so that you'll eat at least a little something at lunchtime."
Tess "No! You just want my backpack to be heavy... and dangerous!"

Owen on the other end of the spectrum:
"Mom, tomorrow can you send me TWO sandwiches? I am just LOVING those triangles!"
Who knew cutting the sandwich a different way would create such passion?

Yesterday afternoon I found myself in a particularly bad mood. Lately I've been all sorts of introspective about my emotional well being. I wondered if I was in a bad mood because it was our anniversary and Kirt was stuck late at work or if I was upset about Cal being kind of lazy about his homework or any other multitude of first-world-problems. I couldn't put my finger on it for a few hours and suddenly it was clear. I changed out of my skinny jeans and into my yoga pants and suddenly life had a brand new cheery outlook. Note to self.

And finally, today marks the end of the 4th week that all my kids are in school and the FIRST day that I am completely unaccountable to anyone for anything (until 2:25). I don't have a single appointment, meeting or responsibility. If you'll excuse me I'm sure I can find something meaningful to occupy myself. You might be able to find me at the mall, or asleep. I haven't decided yet.

Update: I got to the school, picked up the kids and then saw a huge crowd of kids over by the lunch tables. "Hmm, wonder what's going on over there? - Oh crap! I was supposed to be here 30 minutes ago to help with Ice Cream Friday!" That's what I get for bragging about 'no responsibilities'.

4 comments:

agirlnamedgay said...

a) holy crap you and kurt are KIDS in that pic, you weren't kidding. b) Literal LOLed to tessa and owie's comments. c) seriously??? yoga pants have all the answers? I knew it was a dumb simple detail i was overlooking. now excuse me while i go change. d) when are we doing a run and brunch?

Laura said...

Happy anniversary! You really were a couple of kids. They must have been your lulu lemon yoga pants. Must get me a pair? Run and brunch? Now that's living the high life. I'll dream of that one day

Laura said...

I Must get me a pair. Not suppose to be a question. Talking and typing

me? said...

you guys look EXACTLY the same! so crazy - congrats!!!