Last Thanksgiving while we were home Tessa Jane was helping her cousin Lincoln get out of the bathtub. Then she proceeded to try and carry him to the living room in his towel. It didn't go well. They only made it to the door of the bathroom before she slipped on the wet tile and little Lincoln's ear met the door-jam in an unfriendly fashion resulting in a trip to the ER and some stitches.
Last night we were making our last minute preparations to head out for Food Truck Friday when I heard a "thud" and a resulting scream. It took a few minutes to realize that this one might be serious and there was a decent amount of blood involved. Once I got a good look I knew that we were headed to Urgent Care. (A place I have come to know far too well. I called ahead to make sure my preferred plastic surgeon was on call.) A few hours later Tessa had successfully received her first set of stitches. (I'm tempted to say 'hopefully only' but I did that once before and it didn't turn out so well for us.)
When Tessa and I arrived at Urgent Care the pediatrician took a quick look and called in the plastic surgeon. He said it would be a while so get this - they let us go! They told us they would call when he was close so we didn't have to wait there all night in the germ-infested waiting room. (Awesome!) The bleeding had long since stopped and Tessa was hungry. We hit In-n-Out for and just as we finished up they called to say the Dr. would be there in 10 minutes.
We arrived about 2 minutes before Dr. Namazie and he just laughed when he walked in the room and saw us. Luckily, it's been a few years since we have needed his services but 2 incidents within 4 months with Owen and we have been cemented in his memory. He chatted with Tess for a few minutes then she and I snuggled up on the table and he got to work. Within 5 minutes (and ZERO tears) girlfriend had 5 blue stitches holding her ear back together.
The staff was dying over Tessa telling her how brave and beautiful she was. She walked out of that place with toys and stickers galore! If our night was going to have to result in stitches, I could not imagine more pleasant circumstances. We would have been out of there in 15 minutes if I wasn't busy chatting the two Dr.'s ears off about their medical missions all around the world.
P.S. At one point in the drama I texted my brother: "Tessa cut her ear open tonight and will be having stitches shortly. That Karma chick sure is specific!"
2 comments:
Such a brave girl! oh and ... wasn't Linc's on the same ear? weird.
Ahh, brave lil Tessa! Lyla had a fall the other day and I had to consult a neighbor if they think she needed stitches. I just ended up butter flying it and I think it's fine but I coulda used a consult from nurse Kady!
Post a Comment