I get a little fired up when I see Halloween stuff out in August and Christmas decor in the stores immediately after Halloween. But... now is the time to start thinking about the holidays. I have NEVER been done with my shopping before December 22. I rarely even start my gift buying until after Thanksgiving, but that doesn't mean I'm not getting ready. September (Yes - it is September already!) is the month I start my preparations.
So Halloween: We invite friends and neighbors over on Halloween for Taco Soup, trick-or-treating and the annual haunted house through the garage. I used to try and buy the candy for trick-or-treat ahead of time, but it all ended up on my thighs and then I had to re-buy for the big night. (And don't tell me to just buy stuff I don't like, I won't do it. I have strict guidelines about the candy we hand out. Go chocolate or go home baby!) Anyway, the taco soup: I start purchasing all the non-perishable stuff that goes in there. Cans of tomatoes, sauce, salsa, corn, beans, etc., as well as bowls, spoons and cases of soda when I see a good deal. Then when the day gets here my already-long-shopping list is not as bad as it could be.
Christmas: I get completely overwhelmed with all the shopping that takes place in December. Not to mention the parties, wrapping, and general craziness. Even if I find a way to stay on budget (haha!) I get so sick of running to the store and/or mall and completely over swiping that dang credit card. Obviously I'm no super shopper but here's how I manage: I buy a larger quantity of any household items than I need - in September! If toothpaste is on my list, I pick up 4 tubes, and that goes for all cleaning supplies and toiletries. If I happen to swing by the post office I grab enough stamps for my Christmas cards and stash them away. (You will have to manage without the cute Christmas ones, but I pick my battles.)
I think if I had to make a trip to Wal-Mart on December 15 because somebody is out of deodorant I might freak out. So I'll try to save my sanity while I'm making a trip this month. So far, I've stocked up on toilet paper and that's about it. I guess it's a good thing that it's only September 4th and I've got at least 15 more Target trips this month to get everything else!
2 comments:
And that there is what you call brilliant. A closet strategist!
The title of this post made my stomach hurt. For someone who lives with my life in orbit, planning for the holidays is almost enough for me to institutionalize myself. ;) Two words for this holiday season: Amazon Prime.
Nice strategies lady. We sure miss you guys!
Post a Comment