Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Just Cal

I'm sure like a lot of you, we've been watching our share of CNN these days. Before Kirt left for work this morning he and Cal were talking about the stock market and the conversation continued when I got home from a morning run. I was trying to explain how the stock market works (like I really have a clue?). I used Toys R Us as an example. Telling him that people buy stock in companies like Toys R Us and when the company makes money, the stock holders also make money. We also had a conversation about how stock prices and what makes them increase and decrease. This is what Cal had to say: "Well, I think they should be making good money right now because it's birthday season and a lot of people are buying toys for birthdays." What is the minimum age for congress? Let's get this kid a seat in the house.
Also, politics are a daily topic of conversation at our house. Even kids at school are asking Cal who his parents are going to support in the presidential election. We've had to have a lot of discussions about McCain vs. Obama. One kid in his class even said that he likes Obama because McCain has said that he's going to make kids spend more time at school every day. I don't know where kids come up with this stuff, but I LOVE it! Sometimes I shy away from talking about such complex issues with Cal (in part because I'm not sure I understand what the heck is going on) but if nothing else, it has made for some hilarious sound bytes at our house. Now I just need to remember to keep a pen handy to blackmail him someday.
Yes, we do have 2 other children, despite the last 2 posts being all about Cal. We'll post soon about them too!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm pretty sure our kids will be well-versed in politics... it's a fight for me to watch ESPN (it's play-off's now) and Justin watching CNN right now. Thank goodness we have TiVo.

~Ali~ said...

That is hilarious!! Kids really do say the darndest things! lol I don't talk politics at our house cause I have no idea what I am talking about! lol Good for you for informing him on those kind of things at a young age!