
Cal is stealing the blog-light once again. He did have a birthday and I did promise that I'd do a post about it. He turned 9. For real? How do we have a 9 year old? Now I'm making this all about me - back to Cal. He is getting more grown up by the second. His new fashion obsession is his "skinny jeans." It's kind of a shame that the weather here in So Cal doesn't warrant jeans until at least Thanksgiving, because he's dying to break those bad boys out. See
Libby's blog for pics, they are seriously adorable, I mean, uh... awesome. In lieu of a party for the b-day, we took a few of his friends to a Dodger's game. It was hilarious. We stopped at the grocery store on the way to the game to let the kids pick their own snacks and drinks. I figured it would save us some green in the ballpark, and the kids would have a better selection of goodies. But it posed a slight problem: I told the kids to pick "whatever they wanted," then I proceeded to talk them out of the squeeze tubes of gooey grossness (can you blame me?) One of the boys picked out a king sized Crunch bar. No problem... yet. We get to the game plenty early to catch batting practice. The kids are BEGGING for their candy. I decide to get started with the Dodger Dogs before we load them full of sugar. With 40 minutes still before the game starts, Dodger Dogs consumed, begging begins again. I make them wait until 20 minutes before game time. At exactly 6:50, the kids are in my face with hands outstretched. I pull out the aforementioned king size candy bar and our little friend rips it open and starts munching. I couldn't stop laughing. Even during the national anthem, he was trying to cover his heart with his candy-holding hand, but hang his head low enough that he could still nibble on the chocolate. Here's the problem: Am I the mean mom that stops him and make him save some for later? Am I the irresponsible mom that lets him eat it all at once and risk seeing the chocolate come up later - all over somebody's shoes? How many times can I interrupt their fun before Cal is completely embarrassed by his lame mom? I decided not to fight that battle and he had the entire candy bar consumed before the opening pitch was thrown. (Luckily it stayed in his tummy.) It was a marathon game. I swear we were 3 hours into the game and it was only the 4th inning. All in all, the kids were great, Manny hit 2 home runs, the Dodgers won and the kids said "IT WAS AWESOME!" when I asked if they had a good time. Mission accomplished. The next day we had Cal's adult friends over for dinner and cake and ice cream. Here are some pictures of Owen and Tessa to prove that they have not been abandoned.

Owen made sure to get the candles nice and clean. Some of our guests would not partake of the Utes cake. Suckas.

Many people comment on how much our kids look alike. But Kirt is constantly amazed at how different Tess is from the boys. He mentions it at least 3 times a week. He is a sucker for this little girl. I guess we all are.

This is maybe a subject of an entirely different post, but I was thinking about it as I sorted through pics for this post. Sometimes I forget how quickly these kids grow and how lucky I am to be their mommy. I've just fallen in love with my family all over again. Of course I never stopped loving them, I've just found a renewed sense of energy when it comes to appreciating the little moments. You know the smell of their hair when they just get out of the bath? I love that smell.
3 comments:
thats how it is with, grandkids also,everytime you see them again you fall in love with them again and again.
I love the bath smell. I also love the LKO (little kid odor) smell they get after they have been running around outside. It's stinky, but I love it because they have been having so much fun. (Why does it go by so fast???)
I love seeing pictures of your darling kids. Tess does have a different look from your boys, but to me, they all look like you. And by the way, I am SO jealous of your good weather. We've had rain daily for a week - I better get used to it, huh?
Post a Comment