Friday, October 10, 2008

Life Lessons


An inspiring story appeared in Cal's homework packet this week. I chuckle every time I think about it. I'll paraphrase the story, but the best part is a direct quote.

Chunky the pig was an outcast on the farm, causing him to spend most of his day wallowing in the mud. When the chickens organized a talent show, Chunky decided that he was to hide his light under a bushel no longer. Because the other animals couldn't imagine that Chunky had any entertaining ability, they put him dead last on the talent show line up. When Chunky's moment arrived, he did not disappoint with this little ditty:

"I'm Chunky the Pig and I'm here to rap.
I've got the grooves that'll put me on the map.
I'm more than just a piece of meat
Or breakfast that you'd like to eat.
You will love the moves that I'm makin',
I'm so hot I sizzle like bacon!
Ch-ch-ch-Chunky."

Obviously, Chunky was a hit and won the talent show. From that time forward, Chunky performed once a week for the animals. His raps were funny and lighthearted. He rapped about good behavior and being nice to others. Chunky the Rapping Pig taught the farm animals that despite their differences, everyone has gifts to give.

I couldn't help but be reminded of Eminem in "8 Mile" when I read this literary gem (with a little pig nose, of course). They may not be the mean streets of Pleasant Grove, but Chunky had his own obstacles and overcame. Ch-ch-ch Chunky!

3 comments:

agirlnamedgay said...

why do we continually, possibly even unconsciously, encourage jono in his gangsta-ness! at least in this one it has him and a pig on the same page.......

me? said...

only in LA!!!

Abby said...

I hope this book encourages cal to keep up with his rhyming because I think it is hilarious