Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sequoia National Park

Did you know that Yellowstone was the first National Park established by the United States? We covered that one in August so it was time to hit the second established National Park in September. We made the 3 hour drive from LA to Visalia the Friday before school started and after a 30 minute drive, covered as much of the park as we could on Saturday.
I've heard about the giant Sequoia trees and Kirt had been pushing for us to get up there for a few years. Nothing could have prepared us for these incredible giants. Below, Kirt and the kids had a great time with a few family friendly hikes to some beautiful view points.
Same area as above, but different angle - looking west toward the Central Valley of California.
Another one of Kirt's crazy poses. The kids were more than happy to go through his little tunnel.
This was an upshot of The General Sherman. The largest, oldest tree in the park. I guess because there's nothing to give perspective to the size the picture doesn't do much justice, but it's a little overwhelming. This was a little long for Tess to hike, but she made the mile hike in and out all by herself. She and I were behind the boys by quite a bit because I am just as stubborn as she is and I was determined to not pick her up and carry her out.
Just for a little perspective on the trees. Did I mention that they were big?
The three little monkeys about to embark on the mile hike out of General Sherman. They handled it as well as most of the tourists. We were just about back to the car (maybe 1/10 of a mile to go) I heard a girl (mid 20's) whine to her husband, "We're going to have to walk ALL the way back too." I hope she survived.
We've really been talking about this trip since our friends Rod and Hil moved to Visalia. As soon as we finalized our plans Rod's employer asked him to head to Utah for a few months. We'll be making this trip again and hopefully they get to show us the charm of the Central Valley first hand.

1 comment:

The Smith crew said...

The Redwood Forest and Giant Sequoias is one of my dream places to go. I have heard it is just unbelievable. Sounds like you had a very fun summer!