Wednesday, October 13, 2010

August 2010

We made our annual pilgrimage to Utah this summer and had 2 weeks full of great activities planned. Our first week was occupied by a benefit concert for a dear family friend. It was an amazing experience that I will always treasure being a part of. Natalie died just 7 days after the concert and we were all grateful that we were able to show her how much she meant to everyone.
As quickly as the concert was over, we packed up and headed out with the Petersons to Island Park, Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. Kirt has been dreaming of putting this vacation together for years. I think everyone had as great of a time as we did. We started out by stopping to see Kirt's aunt Jaime in Idaho (not a picture? what's my problem?) and then on to Island Park.
Owen and Tess got to try their hand at fishing. We didn't catch anything, but the kids had a blast. In Island Park we stayed in my uncle's cabin. It was amazing with room for over 20 people - he rents it out if you're looking.
Then on to Yellowstone National Park. A place I have visited plenty of times, but it's a place that I appreciate more as I get older and as I get to share it with my kids. I don't know what Kirt is doing in this picture. He's weird...and I like him.
Cal and Owen at Old Faithful, which wouldn't be complete without the giant ice cream waffle cones. The kids had about 6 bites and I probably finished them all off.
I don't ever remember hiking around at Old Faithful or realized that there were a ton more geysers and hot pots right there. I'm sure my family took me there when I was younger, I was probably too busy complaining about the walking to notice.
Pictures are completely out of order, because that's how I roll. I think the below pic is at breakfast by the river in Jackson Hole. This little chica is a sucker for Grandpa Peterson. I think he might be a sucker for her too.
Back in Yellowstone at the Upper Falls - I think. I don't think Bonnie or Bart got anywhere near the fence and I'm pretty sure Owen and Tess got a little too close to the edge. On the hike back up I got my first look at a deer inside the park, eating just off the side of the trail.
Who let this kid do this? (My favorite part might be Bart's face in the truck.) We were just heading through a herd of Buffalo, some of which were just inches from the car. It's a little weird now to think after our 2nd day in the park, we were cruising past the buffalo in search of something 'interesting'. They were incredible creatures.
The whole group from the first half of the trip. A few more joined us a few days later.
Tessa Jane and Reddy Bear with Grandpa P.
The fam in Yellowstone. I can't believe how much I took this place for granted when I was younger. I never remember seeing beauty in 'a bunch of trees' and I'm in awe just looking at the pictures.
After leaving Yellowstone, we headed to Jackson Hole where Bart's wife Andria joined us and Kirt's brother Jake and his wife Lisa arranged a huge raft for us to all float down the Snake River. With such a big raft, the rapids were fairly manageable and we even took Tessa on the 2nd run, she had a blast. Uncle Jake likes to yell at the other rafters as we pass them. My kids are still quoting him, "Are you ready to go back to work?!?" I don't quite know what was so funny, but it makes me smile to think about it. Thanks Petersons for such a great trip. We had a great time and I think we even still liked each other at the end of 6 days together.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

We did that exact vacation in August as well. We even rented a cabin in Island Park. And I totally get what you're saying about not appreciating it as a kid. I was in awe of Yellowstone this time and had to yell at my kids about a hundred times to turn the TV off in the car and enjoy the beauty around them. They just didn't get it, but maybe someday when they take their kids, they'll appreciate it! I'm glad you had such a good time. (I think you've inspired me to finally blog about our trip.)