We decided to take a last minute getaway last weekend to enjoy the last bit of summer we have. We headed up north just a little bit and spent time in Pismo Beach/San Luis Obispo. Its a really manageable drive with the little ones and it's become one of our favorite spots. It never hurts that they have the best pizza place in Cali. We left Friday morning and were back home Saturday night, but we did quite a bit of fun stuff and saw a lot that we've missed in our previous trips.

This was on a scenic driving tour from Pismo to SLO. Obviously, beautiful. There are apple farms all along the road that open in the fall and sell fresh apple cider. I think we might have to make another trip! (Yes, Cal thinks he's flashing a gang sign. Where does he get this crap? Not to mention, he's got a paralyzing fear of anyone he thinks might be a real "gangsta.")

This is Tessa in her natural state. She still enjoys snuggling and I'll take it while I can get it. Soon she'll be talking like Owen. While we were swimming at the hotel Owen wanted to swim by himself, even though he can't swim and would've drowned. He wanted me to let go (again) so bad. He finally said,"Mom, you buggin me!" Are you kidding? I thought they weren't supposed to be embarrassed by us until they were at least 10?

Check out the wall behind Cal. Can you tell what that is? Yep, chewed up bubble gum. I don't think the pictures even do this justice. SLO is a big college town, which somehow makes this more acceptable in my mind. There is an entire alley downtown where both walls are covered in gum.

Owen was fascinated to say the least. He almost touched some of it and I almost freaked out. The boys were disappointed that we didn't have any gum to leave on the wall, but Cal has left his mark there a few times before.

This is Morrow Rock in Morrow Bay. Kirt and Cal made the little hike to this spot while I stayed in the car with sleeping little ones. This pic is courtesy of Cal's photography skills. He's been practicing this week with his stuffed animals too. When Kirt got home the other night Cal had to tell him all about the cute shots he got of "Snowflake" the seal.

We did hit Avila Beach up north, but these pics are from Malibu the week before. We broke out the boogie board for the first time in a few years and both boys loved it.

I didn't get a good shot of Cal actually on the board, but he was pretty determined. I have come to a disappointing realizaion: My kids love the beach. I, on the other hand, am not the biggest fan. The sand seriously makes my skin crawl, but seeing how much fun they have does make it worth it. I think my compromise will be to at least keep the snacks to a minimum. Sand in food just throws me over the edge. I am up for any other helpful suggestions!
12 comments:
I am glad you guys had fun. I love the pictures.
sand it food grosses me out too! The first time we went to the beach I packed a lunch. I tried rinsing of hands but they just kept touching stuff to get sand everywhere again. So they had some nice sandy sandwiches. YUCK! So since then we have eaten before we went and then just had plenty of drinks and then had a snack on the way home!
didn't even know you guys were going, but looks like a lot of fun. it's nice that kurt has been able to take some days off. i totally want to do a little weekend away very soon. with the new baby powder trick you taught me, the sand is much more bearable! i have already passed this trick on to others.
woah i'm so distracted by laura's comment that i can't even address the post at hand. Laura, others? Girl I know you haven't been cheatin on me. besta recognize!! Anyway, katie to answer the gang ?... none other than Jono. The wannabes!! it looks like a fun trip and your family looks like models!
That looks like so much fun!! And I thought I would love the beach so much more than I did...maybe cause it was cold when we went, but I think it also has to do with the foam that washes up with the waves. I don't know if it does it everywhere but it did in Oregon and it grossed me out. Owen looks like a natural on that boogie board! Cute kids! Cute post!
The beach is great for GREAT pictures. What a fun vacation. Where did you stay? We love the Apple Farm in SLO. We just visited Moro Bay too. Good times!
oh gay, you rest your little weary head. i told a girl in the park who was complaining about hating sand. no cheatin goin on.
You have such a beautiful family! That looks like it was an awesome trip with some gorgeous scenery. I can't believe all the gum on that wall. I would've freaked out if my kids tried to touch it, too, but I have germ issues. (lol)
I agree, sand in food is disgusting. The only advice I have is to throw it out. I haven't quite figured out how to keep it out yet, either. Not that we have any "real" beaches around here. I'm talking Bear Lake or Lake Powell. (hehehe)
if sand + food does you in don't check my blog for a bit...great pic of Chase @ Bear Lake with licorice and sand as one...yummy! Looks like a fun weekend get-away close to home. you guys have it all!
Hey Kady!! I found your blog on Megan's list. You have such a cute family! I hope you guys are all doing good. Shawna
Great pictures! You can tell you guys had a blast. I've told you this a million times, but your family is gorgeous! I can't wait to get back to Cali...
That's our favorite vacation spot. Love the pictures.
Post a Comment